Start sponsoring today!
Can you concentrate when you’re hungry?
If you hadn’t had a decent meal in days, could you work? Study? Succeed?
It’s impossible to achieve your full potential if you are malnourished. Yet every day around the world, children come to school having eaten little or nothing, because their parents don’t have the means to feed them.
Ten year old Anna collapsed at school in Kenya one Monday morning. Her teachers took her to hospital where they learned she had eaten nothing since her snack at school the previous Friday. Closer investigation revealed that, most evenings, supper for her family consisted of a dish of black tea.
Malnutrition takes its toll:
- Physically. Stunted growth, weak muscles, weak and crumbling bones, arthritis, eye problems. Just some of the physical effects of not eating enough of the right foods.
- Mentally. Malnourished children are at increased risk of many mental health problems, including depression and paranoia.
- Behaviourally. Malnourished children are more likely to suffer from Attention Deficit Disorder. They are more likely to develop aggressive or anti-social tendencies, or an inability to socialise.
- Educationally. Hungry and undernourished children cannot concentrate properly. They fall behind in school, their grades suffer and their futures become limited.
For just £5 a month you can make a difference to three children.
We believe no children’s future should be destroyed by hunger so we aim to provide a hot, nourishing meal for the children at World In Need linked schools. For £5, we can give three children one meal a day, every day for a month, ensuring children like Anna are never endangered again.
Working through schools makes it easier to implement the programme and ensure the help gets to those who need it most.
The programme is good value for money. £5 a month is not a huge commitment for most people, yet it is enough to give three children a nourishing meal each day.
When you join the programme, we will send you a welcome letter, informing you which school you are supporting. Three times a year, we will give a brief report on the programme in our newsletter, and once a year you will receive a more detailed update.
* Yes, I am a UK taxpayer and I agree to World In Need claiming tax on all past, present and future donations I make to the charity. Please treat my donations as Gift Aid donations. By ticking this box I confirm that I am paying or will pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax to cover the amount World In Need and any other charities will reclaim for the tax year. All gift aid will be used where needed most.